Rabaçal or Caldeirão Verde are some of the must-see places to visit for nature lovers.
Levadas, Veredas, Caminhos Reais .
Along these channels you will always find paths, sometimes as wide as small streets, others so narrow that only the most resistant to vertigo will risk passing.
But along these trails you will find hidden corners of rare beauty and discover the relentless battle that the builders of these channels engaged in using brute force and dynamite. Here you are surrounded by scenery where, were it not for the levada irrigation channel, you sometimes feel like the discoverer of lands untouched by human presence.
Some Levada recommendations from the Regional Directorate of Forestry:
– Levada do Caldeirão Verde |6.5 km | 5hr50
– Levada do Rei |5.1 km | 3hr30
– Vereda da Ponta de São Lourenço | 4 km | 2hr30
– Caminho Real da Encumeada | 12.5 km | 6hr30
– Levada das 25 Fontes |4.6 km | 3hr00
– Levada do Furado, Ribeiro Frio – Portela | 11 km | 5hr
– Vereda do Areeiro | 7 km | 3hr30
– Caminho Real do Paúl do Mar | 1.8 km | 1hr20